Sunday, September 10, 2006


One of The Things I Love Most About My Dog

Jake always seems to know my moods and know when I need him to cuddle with me and kiss away my tears. His sensitive (and most often mischevious) brown eyes scan my face and Jake tries to "fix" whatever is wrong. Many of the dog breeds find direct eye contact uncomfortable but Jake looks to your face to know what kind of day you are having. Today I found myself glued to a heart-wrenching documentary of the September 11th attacks on the World Trade Centers that had been filmed in 2002. I knew I would cry but I felt that I owed it to the victims to watch it and weep for them and the families they left behind. Jake had been sleeping under my bed until he heard the rumble of the second tower falling. He came racing out of the bedroom and growled and postured at the TV. He then jumped on the couch cushion next to me and sat intently watching the television screen. Jake never sits still that long. At the end of the documentary, there is a segment on the funerals and memorial services. Jake began an eerie, soft howling and didn't cease until "God Bless America" was sung by one of the NYPD's own. Jake turned to me and swiped a few tears off my cheeks. He then proceeded to bring every toy he could to place in my lap. I know he sensed my heartache. Every day I am awed and amazed by my little cattle dog. Some days the awe is touched by some frustration, other days sheer marvel.

No comments: