Wednesday, December 13, 2006


Everyone who has met Jake knows that there is not a mean, aggressive bone in his little body. So far in Jake's life he has not met a person he didn't greet with a wagging tail and totally wiggling body. I've seen him growl at noises and bark until he can identify a sound but I've never seen him feel like anyone was a threat. Soooo, yesterday we're driving down Gervais Street (one of the main streets in Columbia) which always has a lot of pedestrian traffic. We drive down this street normally a few times a day since it's not far from our house. We were waiting at a stoplight when a man walked down to the road and stopped, waiting for the pedestrian crossing light to tell him he could cross. Jake had been looking out the window. All of a sudden, Jake is snarling and snapping and lunging at the window. Seatbelt be darned, he was going to get that Bad Man. There were two lanes of cars between us and the sidewalk so the poor old lady next to us probably had a heart attack when she got to see all of Jake's teeth. I wasn't sure what to do at first b/c Jake's never done this. I trust his instincts, though, so I just put my hand on his back and told him, "Okay, Jake, I hear you, " which is what I say when he barks at a knock on our front door. He normally quiets down right away b/c he's done his job and now it's my turn. Unfortunately for me, we hit every red light on the way to take Joe some equipment and this same Bad Man walked several blocks in the same direction. Each light produced the same result. I was so thankful when the man turned. We headed for the next light with more pedestrians and I wondered if we were in for some new protective phase of Jake's. Nope, he wagged his tail and grinned at this new group. Something must have triggered him about that one particular man. It was just a little scary to see Jake become that maniacal dog. My window was totally slobbered after those few blocks but Jake obligingly licked it all off when he got bored so now it's just big streaks. He was completely happy with himself -- big ACD grin and lolling tongue.

No comments: