Friday, December 15, 2006


The Tugmeister

Jake LOVES to tug! He has since day one. We had read that it wasn't always a good idea to play tug with dogs that could be aggressive. Well, in Jake's case, that's blah, blah, blah. Our favorite part is to swipe at his front legs while he's tugging. He must have incredible peripheral vision because he always sees it coming. He tucks his legs first one way and then the other. If you swipe at both legs at the same time, he tucks them back and hangs from the tug. Jake makes the most amazing noises while you're tugging -- somewhere between a Tasmanian Devil and a screaming banshee. The minute you tell him DROP IT, he sits back on his haunches with a big grin on his face, tongue lolling out to the side. We've gone through quite a few toys that didn't stand up to the Jake tug test. After some searching on the internet and watching a little flyball competition on Animal Planet, I discovered fleece tugs. How easy is that, I thought. So I set out to make my own. I made him three different kinds and we went to tugging. They made it! Over the last couple of months I've seen the ones they sell in stores in person and decided I needed to make a new and improved version for my little crocodile. All this tugging has only made him stronger and more determined to hang on with all his might. So yesterday he got a Mighty Tug. After Jake put his spit of approval on the Tug, I couldn't help but pat myself on the back. An easy-to-make, inexpensive toy is a great discovery! We passed on his first little tugs to a friend who is just getting a puppy for Christmas.

No comments: