Wednesday, January 17, 2007


Still in Training
Yup, that's us. We're the pair still taking baby steps. Jake's second set of agility classes began last week. I'm still not sure what to do with my arms and legs and head, etc., while Jake always does things at full speed. Last week went well, though. Jake does a fantastic job of leaving his back feet on the safety zones, never losing his balance, and clearing those jumps cleanly. A classmate of ours got a great picture of Jake jumping and I can't wait to get the file from him so I can share with everyone.

Then Jake planted me on my rearend in the wet leaves at agility class tonight. He was determined to be the class clown tonight and did a stellar job of it. He got the zoomies doing a curved jump series and did an amazing job of drive-by zooming every dog in the class (I'm sure I mentioned the no-dog-interaction rule before) and still managing to complete his run through the jumps several times, backwards and forwards, before we were able to get his attention with some cheese. His second round of zoomies hit doing a curved tunnel and he kept using the tunnel as his banking run. You'd think you could just stand at the other end of the tunnel and catch him but NO. And, fortunately for the other dog parents, this looked
like such great fun that some of the dogs repeated exactly what Jake did. The Golden Retriever was the only one to shake things up a little by trying to swallow the target and her treat whole. And then there were the weave poles. Jake spun around me in his excitement, wrapped that leash tight around my legs and twisted around. Our instructor is always telling us not to "bowl" your dog (in other words, throw your dog at the obstacle) but I don't think anyone explained to Jake not to bowl with his Mommy.

No comments: