Thursday, May 24, 2007

Jake the Bucking Bronco

Some of you know how I secretly (well, not so secretly) dread Jake dissolving into the zoomies in our agility classes. We've gone several weeks without an incident and I was starting to breathe again. But for some reason, when I packed up all of our training stuff in the car on Tuesday night, I accidentally packed up Jake the Bucking Bronco aka Crazy Dog instead of Jake the Amazing Agility Dog.

Jake is always a little unsure of the teeter totter but managed to shake out a little confidence on the last two runs and didn't even seem to notice the motion of the teeter. Then we headed to one of Jake's favorites, the A-frame. I'm still learning to incorporate the clicker into this obstacle with some pretty wierd results on my part. Jake's daddy was bribed into attending the class and taking photos for me. His one complaint was how fast Jake was moving. The teeter pictures were so blurry that I won't bother posting them here. The A-frame was just slightly better:



My husband was eating cheese and drinking a glass of wine while we forged ahead on the new tall dogwalk. Jake did really well as long as I was confidently running next to him. And where you ask was the Bucking Bronco? Why, in the chute, of course, with Zoomie #1 and #2:



The chute was just the beginning of the obstacle set (we always backstep with Jake through multiple obstacles). Theoretically, Jake was to go over a jump, into the curved tunnel, over a jump and through the chute. For whatever reason, the tunnel just sends him over the top and into Zoomie #3 and #4:



I left the red-eye in because it just so matched his state of mind. One teacher said, "Wow, is he buckwild tonight or what?", followed shortly by a "Are you breathing?" directed at me. Probably not. Jake got put in a time out in a kennel while the other dogs completed their turn on this set. We took Jake back out and used several treat targets along the route to end on a positive note. Jake was good to his mommy on those last two tries:



Strangely enough, Jake was completely pooped and unconscious on the ride home.

No comments: